Confessions, PinTest

Halloween – Good or Evil? (& cute spiders)

ACR_7704
First of all, let me just say that the cute little spiders were found on Pinterest and we (Michelle & I) decided to make some of our own. So they were a PinTest. We did ghosts too.

Now, let's get to the nitty gritty about Halloween. My question for you is –

Should Christians celebrate Halloween?

No worries, I am going to give you my opinion on this, but I would like to hear yours as well.

Halloween has always been fun to me. Dressing up as Casper the friendly ghost, Spiderman (yes, I did & I even had a web), Frankenstein (with the coolest paper-mached head ever, thanks mom!), and one year going as my dad.

I don't know the whole story behind Halloween, and I'd rather keep it that way because I don't really care. I do know that kids have been dressing up and trick or treating for years, and there are always more treats than tricks. There are fun costumes and scary costumes, but they are all worn with the purpose of having fun!

I would be willing to bet that the 8-year-old little boy that dressed up like the grim reaper has no idea what that means to us adults. Or what about the same boy wearing the Jason mask?

You know who Jason is right? You do? And you call yourself a Christian? You watch those kinds of movies?

Really, I could care less what kind of movies you watch. You CAN be a Christian and watch those movies because we know that it is purely entertainment. I am not a fan of those kinds of movies, but I do like shows like Criminal Minds, etc and it's about some sick and twisted individuals as well.

What about haunted houses? Love 'em or hate 'em, those are usually the two categories people fall into. I love 'em! I guess I enjoy being scared, as long as they don't grab me. If they grab me, then I go total Ziva on them. How about you?

We all know that the haunted houses aren't real. The same goes for the movies and the costumes we as children or adults wear on Halloween. We are not running around worshipping Satan, committing evil acts, or denying our Lord. We are out there to have fun!

If you know the background of Halloween, and buy into the beliefs behind it, then that is evil. If you don't buy into those beliefs, then by golly, throw on a costume and go get yourself some candy. Halloween is only as evil as you make it.

That's my opinion. What's yours?

• Reply Stefanie October 31, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I love the spider!!! Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. When I was little my Mom’s family always had the biggest parties, and the whole neighborhood would come over. I would like to think it’s a good thing, what else brings a bunch of people together to give candy to dressed up children?

• Reply Julie October 31, 2013 at 3:18 pm

I agree! The first memories I have of Halloween are church events. The first haunted house I ever went to was at church, scared the pee-waddlin’ out of me, but I still love them! Happy Halloween!

• Reply Pamela October 31, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I didn’t get to go when I was a kid — because at that time it really was just starting to become a big deal to go trick or treat. My dad thought it was begging — he didn’t even have a worry about good or evil ha ha. Just pride.
    I enjoy the little kids who knock on my door. I love meeting the newest neighbors – and have a reason to fellowship for just a moment ….over something so precious as their little tykes.
    I don’t like haunted houses for myself because I have a week bladder. enough said. 🙂

• Reply Julie October 31, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Pamela, I have heard others talk about their parents not letting them participate for that same reason. 🙂
    We had a trunk or treat event at our church last night, and the fellowship was awesome.

• Reply Ggstottle@gmail.com October 31, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I have MANY Halloween memories of you, dear Julie, but I won’t post them here. Waaa Haaa Haaa!!!! Your mom makes ahhhsome popcorn balls!

• Reply Melanie November 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

I like halloween for kids and really enjoyed haunted houses when I was younger. Now, though, I’m more conflicted. I don’t really worry about it in relation to Christianity because it seems like it’s become wholly about candy and costumes rather than having a deeper meaning. My conflict comes about enjoying the kids and their costumes and the fun they have trick-or-treating and the fun I used to have doing that. I also love to see adults in some of their costumes….their creativity. The part I don’t like is that some people seem to think it gives them a license to behave badly….partly because they are hidden by a disguise….it sort of scares me sometimes. I probably land more on the side of not being bothered by it but I don’t particularly enjoy it.