Shout Outs

Happy Birthday, Sarah! (Remembering Sarah)

ACR_2870s
Happy Birthday, dear Sarah!

Many of you will remember Sarah, but for those that don't she was a blogger, tweeter, friend, confidant, warrior, and most importantly, she was a mother, wife, and daughter. I could keep going listing all of the titles she held, but you get the picture.

I'll never forget the days I "talked" to Sarah via our blogs, twitter, and facebook. I'll never forget meeting her face-to-face, hugging her neck and spending time with her here in Oklahoma.  And, I will never forget losing her.

Spruce Hill Farm (Sarah's blog which is there, but not like it used to be)

When they visited Oklahoma they stayed at The Pioneer Woman's lodge, and we had a shootout

Twelve days after I was diagnosed with breast cancer, she left all of her pain behind as she left this world to be with our Lord.

Several people wrote blog posts remembering Sarah.

Ree – The Pioneer Woman

Mary Beth Volpini

Susan – Toddler Planet

Myself

Her friends and family were able to have a celebration of Sarah's life, which I couldn't attend. Her amazing husband, Paul, was very kind. He sent me a box of head scarves, bandanas, chocolate from the celebration of her life, our photo and the program for that day. I wrote about that box here.

I kept those head scarves and bandanas for a while after my hair started growing back because I am a sentimental soul. I couldn't pass them on, not yet. Then one day I received a text message from our daughter-in-law saying that she had a friend that was just diagnosed with breast cancer. The time was right for me to box them up, and pass them on. I think Sarah would be glad to know that she is still helping others.

I did keep the head scarf that Sarah is wearing in that photo. That one is going to be framed with our photo together.

• Reply Pam Stump February 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Thanks for the sweet words. We all miss her everyday!

• Reply Hannah Streett February 18, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Thank you for the sweet post! I remember mom really loved chatting with you guys!

• Reply Christy in CO February 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Bless you for this wonderful reminder of Sarah! She was such a sweet, positive person! Heaven truly gained an angel in her!

• Reply Paul February 18, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Perfect home for the scarves.

• Reply Lana @ Never Enough Thyme February 19, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I remember Sarah so well especially from Twitter. Her spirit shown through in every word.

• Reply Melanie February 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I remember your posts and reading about Sarah. As a breast cancer survivor, it still causes me to pause anytime we lose someone to breast cancer. I sometimes wonder “what was the difference between their breast cancer and mine?”, “why did I survive and they didn’t?”. Hopefully, there will come a day when we won’t have to say that someone died of breast cancer. I’m glad you got to meet Sarah and spend time with her and that you are celebrating her now. Hugs to you!!

• Reply Mary Beth Volpini February 21, 2013 at 12:56 am

When I checked my blog stats I noticed my post about Sarah had a lot of views this week, which had me stumped, (no pun intended). Then I saw the traffic from your blog. I did not realize it was Sarah’s birthday. I miss so many of our “Mother’s with Cancer”, I hope they are together in Heaven. I miss Sarah’s photos and reading the posts about her children. Thank you for your post about Sarah and linking to my blog. I hope you are finding a new normal after treatment.
    Mary Beth

• Reply BB February 21, 2013 at 6:26 am

I remember. I didn’t get to meet Sarah but we tweeted a little and I remember the shock of losing her so soon after your diagnosis. Love the photo-and-scarf idea. Perfect.

• Reply Jen February 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

What a beautiful post, Julie.

• Reply Lindy Leigh March 1, 2013 at 10:55 am

Hi Julie!
    I’ve been following you for a long time! I won a PW Cookbook from you many moons ago. I have the blog called Lindy and Ree where I was working through the cookbook and blogging about it (like Julie and Julia). But alas, I gave up. I have a few recipes to finish and blog, and you have given me the inspiration to pick up where I left off. You have stuck with us through your horrible trials, and I truly admire you for your strength.
    Thank you again and keep up the good work. You are a fighter, and I love your blog!
    Lindy