Animals

Can You Help Us Name This Dog?

As a lot of you know, our girl Pepper came to us in January of this year as a stray I found on the side of the road.  And before Pepper, our girl Mia found us.  So, needless to say, I have a soft spot for dogs.  Especially, stray dogs.

If I could, I would open a shelter for dogs and I would just take care of them all.  Of course, I don't have the money or facilities to do that, and I know that McD is happy about that.

After I brought Pepper home, I saw another stray dog roaming around our gate.  She was a bit standoffish, but I tried to get her to come to me each time I saw her.  I even started taking her food.  I mean, at the time, I didn't know if she was being fed.  I would pour the dry food out on the ground, walk away, get back in my pick-up and drive off, and then she would go eat the food.  I would have to watch her from my rearview mirror.

I started keeping dog food and treats in my pick-up, just in case she was around.

Eventually, she started coming to me and letting me pet her.  Then, she got to where she would give me a kiss, and roll over onto her back so I could scratch her stomach.  She whimpers and whines the whole time.

For some silly reason I never even thought to take photos of her, until today. 🙂

This is how it goes every time I see her.

ACR_6083
Here she is laying around watching her buddies, the horses, play in the water.  Okay, they are cooling off, but playing sounds like more fun.

ACR_6084
Here she comes.

ACR_6088
Before you know it, she is stepping all over my toes and begging for attention.

ACR_6091
First, I give her a Milk-Bone biscuit.  She loves them!!

ACR_6098
She knows that I am going to give her something else, but today she is in for a surprise.

ACR_6099
She noticed that I had the bag of food, but I also had a can of Alpo.  She wasn't taking her eyes off of that can.

ACR_6108
She likes it!!

ACR_6112
Have you noticed that this little girl has a heart on her?

ACR_6115
For a minute, I thought she was going to lick the enamel off the bowl.

ACR_6118
But just when I thought she was going to come over to me, you know…to thank me, she headed for the empty can.  My aging joints did not react near as fast as I hoped.  She grabbed the can, and headed back for the pond.  She stopped occasionally to glance back my way, but she was not coming to thank me.

She deserves to have a name.  We call her The Dog, and I have decided that I want to name her.  She may never know her name, but we will.

Help me name her!

• Reply Rose Marie B September 5, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Seeing the heart on the top of her head made me gasp w/ joy! She is beautiful!
    Since the heart represents love & the French word for love is amour…what about Amy?
    Or Joy?
    Or Grace?
    Or Lover? (Cowboy Josh has Hooker, right? lol)

• Reply Julie September 5, 2012 at 6:00 pm

LOL! Yes, Rose, Josh has Hooker. I am making a list and will take all the names to McD. He will have the final say on her name. Thanks for your input!!
    By the way, I am still giggling over some of the conversations we would have if her name was Lover. People would be SO confused!!

• Reply Shelley September 5, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Oh, Julie! That heart is a little something being sent to you from God. Valentine! Name her Valentine. Morgan was born on Valentine’s Day, so I’m a little biased as to my heart association … grin. She was a gift from God, too.

• Reply leslie (crookedstamper) September 5, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Oh, my goodness, I could never live where you do. I’d want ALL of them! And you know, once you name her, she’s yours. Just sayin’.
    Do you think she had wet food in her former life? She obviously knew what was coming.

• Reply Virginia September 5, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I’m in love with my thesaurus. It led me to the name Gale for your pup. Whimper = mewl = squall = Gale

• Reply Virginia September 5, 2012 at 7:21 pm

My daughter suggested Coeur, which is Heart in French.

• Reply Sherry September 5, 2012 at 7:33 pm

How about DH for “Dear Heart”?

• Reply laura s. September 5, 2012 at 7:34 pm

mystic

• Reply Sandy September 5, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Cory for corazon (heart). She is just beautiful!

• Reply jane September 6, 2012 at 8:16 am

we had the same thing happen to us with one of the best dogs we’ve ever had. he got dumped at the farm with an empty case of red dog beer. when he came home with us about a week later he became “pup”. even as an old dog, he was still pup. he lived a long and fulfilled life at our house!

• Reply Lisa K. September 6, 2012 at 8:35 am

Hi Julie….great to see your posts are back. I think you should call her L’Amour. McD could pretend she was named after the Western novelist and you would know it is for the translation of “My Love or My Heart”.

• Reply Steph September 6, 2012 at 8:45 am

Absolutely love your suggestion! Manly, but romantic.

• Reply sheila @E2gather September 6, 2012 at 11:31 am

not sure why but Marilyn popped in my head when I saw her. She sure is purdy…maybe like Marilyn Monroe ; )

• Reply Wanda Moncrief September 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Cute name – Ticker (for heart)

• Reply Wanda Moncrief September 6, 2012 at 12:17 pm

More serious name:
    VENUS – goddess of love and beauty!

• Reply Deb September 6, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Well this may sound a little hokey but I think you should call her Chance. Your blog is titled that after you got another chance after your heart issues, she has a heart design on her head, & you are giving her another chance at a possible new life… Chance just seems right to me.

• Reply jensamom23@gmail.com September 7, 2012 at 8:14 am

I love the L’Amour suggestion! Clementine popped into my head first but have changed my mind. 🙂

• Reply Heidi September 7, 2012 at 9:32 am

Ruth, it’s a good strong name, and it means Friend.

• Reply Nola September 8, 2012 at 10:48 am

The Gaelic word for heart, is croi, pronounced Cree.

• Reply Wes September 10, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I would say that the first thing that came to you would be the best name!! The first impressions will make the best memories, and a name to fit that impression!!

• Reply Weekend Cowgirl September 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm

What about Sweetie (Valentine/Heart inspired) She looks like she has found you so hoping she will stay and learn to trust you…

• Reply Theresa in Alberta September 13, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I like sweetie, as in sweetheart eh!

• Reply Pamela September 16, 2012 at 10:08 pm

she is precious — and I sure wonder what her story is.
    The heart is also so curious and perfect.
    I’m late for the name game
    but she sure could be called “blessed.” because she was the day you saw her.