Animals

My Dog, My Camera and Me

Last Thursday I went for a jaunt with my camera, and my sidekick, Pepper.

ACR_5598
We made our way back to one of our ponds so I could take a few shots of the catfish that have just shown up out of nowhere.

ACR_5597
Pepper is the kind of dog I've always wanted.  Don't get me wrong, I love my Abby and Mia, but Pepper is my sidekick.

So when she got into the water I got a little antsy.

ACR_5594
This just happened to pop up about five feet from us.

ACR_5569
I tried to get a shot of all of him, but he was just too stinkin' big.  I think it was about six feet long.

There was a second snake swimming around but it was only four and a half to five feet long, and it wasn't as thick as this one.   Look at that forked tongue!

ACR_5596
We saw pretty butterflies.

ACR_5602
And some weeds that just happen to remind me of fireworks.  They look like little bursts.

Then, we finally saw what we came to see.

ACR_5588
They might be hard to make out, but those are catfish. Bullhead catfish. They just showed up outta nowhere.  I've heard that birds can bring the eggs in, they hatch, and then we have fish.  However it happens, it did.  We have lots of fish.

Later that day, when McD got home, we went back to the pond toting a .22 and some ammo.  Those snakes flipped and flopped after they were shot.

Now, my sidekick is sitting here waiting for me to go over to the garden.

Coming soon, photos of my garden.  🙂

• Reply leslie (crookedstamper) May 14, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Is Pepper the adopted pup from the side of the road? Handsome!
    And, um, you really shoot snakes?

• Reply Julie May 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Re: TypePad: [Another Chance Ranch] leslie (crookedstamper) submitted a comment on "My Dog, My Camera and Me"
    Yes! You can shoot anything that moves. 🙂 And Yes, that our girl Pepper! Whoever dumped her sure missed out on a good dog.

• Reply jackie May 14, 2012 at 2:01 pm

By the way, the snake was not poisonous. Bob Jenny taught me years ago that snakes with round pupils are not poisonous, if they have slits….they are. I understand not wanting them around though. People usually say, who gets close enough to see their eyes….Julie does. LOL

• Reply Julie May 14, 2012 at 2:34 pm

You are right, Jackie! He wasn't poisonous but water snakes freak me out! Lol
    Sent from my iPhone

• Reply Laura May 14, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I just love your pictures!

• Reply Theresa in Alberta May 16, 2012 at 8:12 am

EEEEEKKKK!!! Poisonous or not, running…….;-0
    Thankyou for rescuing your new bestest friend eh!

• Reply BB May 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Wow… very cool collection of pics Jools. Love it! Another of your posts prompts me to share one of my recent blogs with you (and your readeres):
    Probably one of the most non-whiney people I have ever met in my life.

• Reply Laura June 4, 2012 at 4:18 pm

See, this is why (guns or no guns) I could never live farther south than Minnesota…. The snakes y’all have down there! I would be a nervous wreck. We do have snakes here, but just gardner snakes and bull snakes. I don’t like them either, but we have never (knock on wood) seen one on our farm, so I can be at ease!
    Looking forward to seeing your garden pics!