Home & Garden

Money Saving Recipes

A couple of months ago, my friend Stefanie made her own laundry detergent, hand soap, etc.  She told me how it saved her money making it herself, so I got the recipe from her and made some too.  I had to try it out before I suggested the recipes to you.

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I will tell you that we have an he washer, and it works great! I use one tablespoon for regular loads, and two tablespoons for large or heavily soiled loads.  I felt brave one day, so I put the detergent in the dispenser.  It worked great!  But, I also washed loads with the detergent in the tub, and it did great that way too.

Homemade Fabric Softener

The thing about this fabric softener is that it softens without such a strong scent.  After making my first batch, I read someone out on the www that it helps to heat up the water and the vinegar before adding the conditioner.  I will try that next time.  If you try it let me know how it works for you.

I've also heard that you can use straight white vinegar with essential oil for your fabric softener as well.  (I haven't tried this yet.)

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

This is the recipe I used, but here Jillee has revised it a bit and I have not been able to try it this way.  I am getting ready to go throw all of my glasses in the dishwasher to try it out though.  Will update this as soon as the dishes are dry. 🙂

I have several more recipes to try, but I just wouldn't feel right sharing them without trying them out first.

Do you have any tried and true money saving recipes?

• Reply Karmyn R February 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Thanks for these links…especially the Dishwasher det. one – I’ve been meaning to do this.
    I have a recipe for the laundry soap- but I have been waiting for my Costco size tub to empty. It is getting close. I didn’t realize how long they last when you have an HE washer – I bet the homemade soap will last even longer.

• Reply Laura L. February 9, 2012 at 8:25 am

I can’t wait to try these! I just need a little free time.

• Reply Sayre February 9, 2012 at 10:05 am

Thank you so much!!! I’ve got all the stuff for the laundry detergent and fabric softener and all I need is Kool-aid for the dishwasher. I need to get containers for all the stuff mixed up and I’m off to the money-saving races!
    I’m really looking at ways to save money this year. My husband works so much freelance that we don’t see him much – I’d love it if I could save enough that he could cut back on his other work.

• Reply Pam February 10, 2012 at 8:56 am

Ok, paying college tuition has me looking for tips. Willing to try the laundry and fabric softener. Not sure how it will go over with the husband and kids still at home that do their own laundry….they are such creatures of habit, but willing to give it a try since it won’t be that expensive. I’m hoping I can convert them. Need to find a really cool container for the top of the washer to put it in. Off to the store I go.

• Reply Pamela February 11, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I’m feeling guilty because I haven’t attempted any of these.

• Reply Pamela February 11, 2012 at 2:29 pm

someone told me not to use oxy clean in the HE … have you heard anything about this???

• Reply Julie February 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Haven't heard that. Will have to check into it.
    Sent from my iPhone