Home & Garden, Recipes

Cowboy Beans – The Recipe

IMG_7975iThis recipe came from our friend, Ann.  She is the better half to the doctor I once worked for, and she has made this for us several times.  We love it so much that I just had to share it with you, especially since today is the perfect weather for some yummy comfort food.

Cowboy Beans

1 can black-eye peas

1 can butter beans

1 can kidney beans

1 can pinto beans

1 can northern beans

jalapenos to taste

– Fry hamburger, bacon (chopped), and sausage.  Drain.  Combine with beans after draining juice from beans.  Add all other ingredients, and cook for 45 minutes or so.

This recipe freezes well.

Let me know if you try it!  It is delicious!!

• Reply Melanie February 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

How many people does this serve?

• Reply Julie February 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Re: TypePad: [Another Chance Ranch] Melanie submitted a comment on "Cowboy Beans – The Recipe"
    Well. Melanie, to answer your question I’d say as a main dish 4 – 6.  That is a guestimate. 🙂

• Reply Donna W February 3, 2012 at 7:36 pm

That’s similar to a dish we call “Old Settler’s Beans”.

• Reply Jen February 4, 2012 at 8:25 am

That sounds yummy…would be great for the Super Bowl.

• Reply Pamela February 4, 2012 at 11:02 am

that’ll get ya “fired-up” for the super bowl.
    By they way… someone gifted us with a book “All about Farts.” (yeah, I know.)
    Anyway.. this book says that beans may cause gas, but it does not cause the flatus to “stink.” That honor goes to the meat.
    So.. beans and sweet potatoes are two of the things that “sweeten” it. ha ha ha.
    I loved baked beans.. but have gotten away from red meat. I wonder if this could have some turkey sausage etc as a replacement?

• Reply Joanie February 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm

A bowl of this would hit the spot right now!

• Reply leslie (crookedstamper) February 6, 2012 at 11:13 am

I would make with without ANY of the beans. Beans don’t like me. But the other ingredients sound splendid. 😀

• Reply leslie (crookedstamper) February 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

this … I would make this without … sigh

• Reply Weekend Cowgirl February 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I have never had this. It looks so easy so maybe I can get to grocery today!

• Reply bobbie February 10, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I make this sometimes and it makes A LOT!! I dont know why we call it Walt’s beans!! But I like your name better. Im changing the name! It would be perfect for this very cold night. I wish I would have planned ahead!

• Reply sheila @E2gather February 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Yumma Lumma! We love beans in this house. Thanks for linking up ; )