Uncategorized

If I Were A Real Writer

If I were a real writer I think I could basically write a novel based on my own life.  I would change all the names to protect the innocent, of course, but I would lay it all out there for the world to read.  I honestly don't think anyone else would be interested in writing it for me, so it won't ever get written.

Yesterday, I sat on the couch watching McD lounge in his recliner watching Alaska State Troopers.  I started thinking about how far we have come. You tell me, should I write a book or what?

As of today, McD and I have been married twenty years and one day.

When we met at church in February of 1991, everyone there was all for us dating.  Then we got engaged in December, and people turned against it.  We weren't sure why, but oh well.  Some of the people completely against our marriage were family members.  Their opinions did not stop us.  We went to a church in a different town, spoke to the preacher, and set the date.  January 8, 1992.  Believe it or not, at that time I was not evening thinking about Elvis' birthday being the same day. I just happen to be a huge Elvis fan.

The day of my wedding I woke up with the flu.  Not just a few of the flu-like symptoms, the full fledge flu.  Some say that was an omen, but it didn't stop us.  I leaned on my dad as he walked me down the aisle, and when he passed my hand to McD I started leaning on him.  I've always leaned on my daddy, so how fitting was it to then lean on the love of my life at that point.  It was kind of symbolic, don't ya think?  Don't get me wrong, I still lean on my daddy and I am pretty durn sure that I always will.

We were married several years, and hit a rough patch.  At the time, in my mind, none of it was my fault.  Now, looking back, I know that it does take two to make everything work.  We separated, and almost got a divorce.  But we didn't.  We chose to work it out, and sixteen years later we are closer than ever.

We dealt with an ex-wife that did not like me, but honestly I didn't care for her much back then either.
Just keeping it real here for ya.  We are completely fine these days.  In fact, I kind of like her.  🙂

My dad was electrocuted, and that was a major tragedy in our family, but he recovered and is doing well these days.

I dropped dead in 1999.  They got me back, and I didn't think I could ever get closer to McD after that.

Life flew by, and it was pretty normal – whatever normal means.  We had grandbabies, lights of our lives!  Weddings.  College graduation – mine. (Go O-State!)

I quit my job in 2009, I think, and that was the first time I have ever been unemployed.  I started my job as ranch hand.  That is what McD calls it.  I basically fed the cows, and anything else he asked me to do around here.

Then, last year (2011) I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Just when I thought McD and I couldn't get any closer, we did.  He has been by my side every step of the way.  He is my rock.

That is just part of the story of our lives, minus some of the juicy details. 🙂

Thank you for standing by me through all of this, McD.  I couldn't have made it without ya!  Love you Babe!

• Reply Marie January 9, 2012 at 11:26 am

I already want to read it. In the mean time, Happy Anniversary!!! And much health and happiness to you. xoxo

• Reply SharonFaye January 9, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Write it. Definitely write it. I love the way you write the way you talk. I’m just guessing, never having actually “talked” to you in person. 🙂 But at least what you write SOUNDS like you’re having a conversation with some one. I think people are drawn to that way of writing. Happy Anniversary!

• Reply BB January 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I would totally read it! That’s quite a story – I always say that no great love develops without a few major tests along the way. We’ve had our tests too – some corkas actually – and I know that as awful as each as been, we are a better couple for it.
    A great tribute to your man. And to you really. Congrats on 20 years.

• Reply Jen January 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a true love story with all the ups and downs of life. I wish you many more years together, Julie and McD!

• Reply Katie January 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Love that you were married on my birthday! I will always remember your anniversary!

• Reply Pamela January 9, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I’m always glad I stumbled on Babe in the Mud that day —
    So happy to know you!

• Reply Cynthia D'Alba January 10, 2012 at 6:14 am

Over on your “other home” (http://everybodyneedsalittleromance.com/2012/01/10/for-better-for-worse-by-guest-blogger-rachael-johns/) we are talking about this exact subject (Not your marriage but the better or worse of the wedding vows)
    I shudder at the thought of McD NOT being there for you in 1999 and 2011 (and all the times in between.) Being there in the bad times, being nurturing during the sickness times, fighting to make the relationship work is love…it’s romance in it’s purest form.

• Reply Monie January 10, 2012 at 7:37 am

Happy Anniversary, Julie. You should definitely write your book…I want to see the movie! 🙂 When life blinds us with burdens too great to bear, it creates the perfect stage to bring glory to God…depending on our choices. We can choose to glorify Him or not. You have a story that can totally glorify Him! I vote YES to the book…

• Reply Sayre January 10, 2012 at 7:58 am

That was quite an anniversary card to McD!
    YOur life would make an awesome book. So full of improbabilities – you can’t make stuff like that up.

• Reply Kelly January 10, 2012 at 9:26 am

You need to write your book. All parts of life are beautiful, rough patches and all. Write your book. Tell your story. Your story is important and has value. Rough patches minister to others, so write your book. Love you!

• Reply Joanie January 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Gosh, that made my eyes water just a bit! Congrats on your anniversary and many more!

• Reply Megan -Best of Fates January 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Such a sweet love story – happy anniversary! And you should totally write a book, we’d all read it!