Home & Garden

What Is Over Your Toilet?

Seriously!

ACR_3149designThis is what is over mine.

Nada.

Zilch.

Nothing.

I need to remedy this.

But what should I put over the toilet?

This is what the rest of the bathroom looks like.

ACR_3150design
It is really kind of hard to tell, but the colors in here are red and brown.

Quick question…

How do you feel about photos in the bathroom?  Do you feel like they are watching you go to the loo?  Or are you like me and could really care less?

Yes, I realize there are three questions there instead of one quick question, but they just kept coming to me. 🙂

ACR_3151designI took this photo so you could see what the tin tiles look like.  They are on both sides of the mirror.

I need to get this house decorated, to get some sort of design going.  Right now, the only rooms in the house that have anything on the wall are the living area, kitchen, dining area, and master bedroom.

I still need to decorate the guest room, finish the guest bath, master bath, entry way, work out room, and laundry room. And we have been in our house for almost four years now.  I am so not good at this type of thing.

I just need to throw something out there.  I don't want sea shells on the back of my toilet.  I am not sure what the deal is, but have you ever noticed that a lot of people put sea shells on their toilet?  What is up with that?  I prefer to just decorate the walls around the toilet.

Any recommendations on what I should put there?  Keep in mind our house is pretty rustic/country.

I am so anxious to hear your ideas!

• Reply Amy October 18, 2011 at 9:03 am

Um…I do have a dish of seashells on the back of one of my toilets. And now that you mention it, I don’t know why? Maybe it’s a water thing? Now I’m worried…

• Reply Sayre October 18, 2011 at 9:16 am

You might put a long, quilted piece there… Something that picks up the accent colors in your bathroom? Or three of the tin tiles? That could look good.
    Personally, I have a towel rack that’s not high enough and peeling wallpaper. I’d love to do something else with it but haven’t had time!

• Reply peg October 18, 2011 at 10:18 am

Going with the rustic theme how about some photos of the ranch, nature like or with the horses. You could always tag Rhee and see what photos she has that she is willing to part with!

• Reply CeeCee October 18, 2011 at 10:28 am

I was thinking along the same lines as Sayre–a long, tapestry of some sort. OR you could put up one of these http://cabinets-n-storage.com/over_toilet_storage_cabinets.html

• Reply Sarah G. October 18, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I currently have a large photo of a red leather Mustang interior above my toilet in the downstairs guest bathroom. However, I’m planning on putting a little white cupboard (Something like this: http://www.furnitureinfashion.net/images/bathroom-cabinets-uk-1600904.jpg) over the toilet when I redo the bathroom (in purples and white). I think an espresso cabinet like that would be so cute over your toilet – and it could hold toilet paper, towels, feminine products, etc, but keep them all hidden.

• Reply Sarah G. October 18, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Dangit, it included the paranthesis in my link…

• Reply Leanne October 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm

What about a wrought iron cross or some type of wrought iron wall art. Or some people put those big black letters of their last name on bathroom walls. My maidan name starts with D and my mom has one hanging in the guest bathroom so you can imagine the jokes we have with the letter D hanging in the bathroom. :))

• Reply Karmyn R October 18, 2011 at 3:09 pm

A nice picture of somewhere you love.
    Of course – I have a towel rack over my toilet.

• Reply debby October 18, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Get some weathered board, and have a moon cut into it…so that it looks like a section of outhouse door. Or you could just have some artsy fartsy pictures of outhouses.
    Okay.
    I guess you’d need to have my vision to think something like that is funny. I dunno.

• Reply Lisa October 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I have a towel rack mounted over my toilet and a box of Kleenex on the back of it. I’ve never thought about photos in the bathroom. It wouldn’t bother me but I don’t recall seeing a lot of them in bathrooms. Mostly you see prints, candles, seashells, wall sconces, potpourri, etc.
    Maybe one of those above the toilet shelves in a wrought iron finish would keep the rustic look going but give you some additional storage options.
    Glad to see your post…you must be feeling better to think about decorating the house again.

• Reply Laura October 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm

I think you should put up one of your lovely photos that is… relaxing. Because, you know, it’s good to feel — ahem — ‘relaxed’ when you are in that particular room. 😉

• Reply Sandy October 18, 2011 at 5:49 pm

I have a cabinet above my toilet that I hate but it is very functional. I do have art in my bathroom but it is just inexpensive posters of the great artists. That way I can change it out when I get tired of it or it gets splattered (I have a very enthusiastic 12 year old tooth brusher!).

• Reply Jen October 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm

I was thinking of a iron something, but I really like Debby’s idea with the weathered wood with a moon shape cut out. This tin tiles are wonderful, by the way! I don’t have a problem with photos in the loo, either…never really thought about it before.

• Reply Vanessa October 18, 2011 at 9:57 pm

See, now you’ve got me worried because I don’t have anything above mine – just a vast expanse of grubby, white wall that needs a wash and/or a paint (we live quite close to a cement plant so things get very dusty and dirty quite quickly). But I think that considering the rest of my walls are so busy – windows, shower, washing machine, laundry tub, bathroom sink and mirror, towel rails… – I may just leave it be. That, and I’m moving soon and don’t want to have to worry about moving it 🙂
    I’m not so keen on photos in the bathroom for the reasons you cited, in fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen them before! I would probably put up another two of those tiles to continue the theme and not have too many different things going on.

• Reply Monie October 19, 2011 at 5:39 am

I have a large wrought iron piece over one toilet, and a ‘stacked’ series of 8X10 prints framed in just glass (those clip/glass frames)…I actually found a calendar I liked and used the images for this series…over the other toilet. I like both bathrooms, but I will say that the glass frames are the easiest to clean…very important for this location! The wrought iron piece is beautiful, but does require a bit more attention in the cleaning process. The most impressive bathroom I’ve ever seen had an over-sized painting over the toilet. I loved it. It was so beautiful and bold. It really brought the eyes ‘up’ to a lovely focal point…away from the typically unfortunate focal point of the toilet. The most ‘humorous’ bathroom I’ve ever been in had a framed print of an orchestra conductor with his wand up ready to ‘direct’… ;O I would suggest going with a series or with something big and bold. Your bathroom is beautiful, by the way! I hope you share the finished room with us…and on a more important note, I’m so happy you are feeling better, and even happier that there are no more chemo Thursdays! 🙂

• Reply Muddah October 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

We’ve got a cabinet above ours, which I like for storing toilet paper, soap, etc. The only other things we have in there are a toilet brush thing and scales. I am sooooo not a decorator – have not even thought about putting anything on what little wall space we have in there! I may have to rethink the wall decor and hang something. I like the suggestions for the wrought iron decor. Love that stuff! Looking forward to your pictures of what you end up doing in there!

• Reply Stefanie October 19, 2011 at 10:40 am

I have a window above my toilet. But the other walls have wrought iron candle holders on them. Our power seems to go out alot. I like the idea of the tin tiles, or a big picture of your horses.

• Reply Carol October 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I think you should put a mirror. Something with a dark/rustic frame. It seems to be a dark corner. ??

• Reply Jen October 19, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Okay…another thouht. What about an old, paned window with a sepia colored photo in each section?

• Reply CeeCee October 19, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Funny story from 15 years ago, but won’t help you any. Maybe give you a smile–which is what I’m hoping for.
    I once used the teacher’s bathroom at my son’s mother’s day out school. As I sat upon the throne, there, looking directly at me was a beautiful picture of Matthew McConaughey on the back of the door. It was one of those pictures where the person really, really looks like they are looking right at you. After a moment of being a bit taken aback, I decided I might visit that ladies room more often.

• Reply Non-Stop Mom October 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I have an ugly cabinet over mine. Ugly, but functional. And no seashells, because I like to be a rebel and not have the normal stuff that everyone else does.
    I like the idea of the wooden moon – or the window with pictures. I actually have a big long window pane hanging in my hallway that I’ve been slowly filling up with pictures.
    🙂
    Amy

• Reply Sheila @E2gather October 19, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I’m anxious to hear everyones ideas too, cause I stink at this sort of thing I have bare walls all over my house!

• Reply debbie October 22, 2011 at 6:36 am

How about some kind of nice wall shelf where you can place a plant?

• Reply Joanie October 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Well, you sure need something over the toilet! I was going to suggest a paned window with photos, or seasonal postcards, or you could print your own using photo editor to incorporate your colors, or the sepia….

• Reply Claire October 26, 2011 at 9:36 pm

i have a standing rack over my toilet. it’s actually quite uncomfortable and i would love to move it. i would say some nice art or a beautiful cross!

• Reply pamela October 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm

a silhouette … like horses running. or birds …

• Reply Skuba October 27, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I don’t have anything over my toilet unless you count an air freshener, Ha. You could put some pressed flowers in a frame, or a shadow box of “treasures” you found on the ranch, or a landscape photo. Whatever you decide to put don’t put something with a lot of detail to be appreciated, how weird is it when you are stairing across someone’s toilet bowl to see what is in a picture. I also really like the idea of an outhouse moon

• Reply KathyL October 27, 2011 at 11:14 pm

• Reply Chris Lawson February 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

How about a cluster of empty ornate antique frames?