Faith, My Battle with Breast Cancer, Thankful Thursday

Thankful Thursday – My LAST Chemo Treatment

I'm getting ready to walk out the door, be chauffered into town, and receive my last chemo treatment.

I AM SO THANKFUL!!

Last night I laid in bed trying to figure out what kind of Chemo Treatment Fun we could have today, but I just kept coming back to the fact that I've made it to my last treatment.  Sure, I love hearing funny stories about the first car you drove or owned, jokes, and other silly things like that.

And if you have something funny to share, please do!  I always enjoy reading them, laughing at them, and making other people in the treatment room wonder what kind of drugs I'm really getting.  McD likes reading them too!!  Really, it is part of our entertainment as we kill four hours there.

But.  Today is another Thankful Thursday.

Today I am SO thankful for my doctors, nurses, pretty ladies in the office (Lady P who keeps me honest on my Thankful Thursdays every Thursday), and my new friend Shirley.

I am thankful for all my friends and family who have supported me throughout this whole ordeal, and who I know will continue to do so through my next few surgeries.  Thank you!!

For Wes & Jane, and Cyndi who found me at the rodeo to hug my neck and let me know I was loved!

For all the cards of encouragement I have received in the mail.

For my wonderful husband who treats me like a queen no matter what!!  I couldn't do any of this without you, McD!

And lastly, I am SO thankful for the rain we got last night!

So what are you thankful for?

• Reply Sayre October 6, 2011 at 9:02 am

I am thankful to have so many friends – both IRL and virtual. You have taken me along on many adventures both exciting and terrifying with blog posts and FB statuses. I am thankful that I can draw strength and comfort from those friends – and that I can do the same for you. I am thankful for the internet and its ability to make the world a smaller and larger place all at the same time.

• Reply jane October 6, 2011 at 9:27 am

YEA!!! it’s finally here!! what a relief it must be for you to know this part of your journey is finally over. i’m sure you’re looking forward to days of feeling better, figuring out what new hair style you want and getting those fingernails back to normal. until you’re back to normal take some time to rest, relax & recoup. i suggest some time on the couch with those (huge!) doggies. if you need to borrow bullet just let us know, we’ll be glad to loan him out for a while. if nothing else he’s good for a laugh. we’re always keeping you in our thoughts & prayers.

• Reply Lisa K. October 6, 2011 at 9:29 am

First of all I’m so very thankful for Jesus Christ, my Saviour. If it wasn’t for His sinless life and sacrifice, we as a sinful people would be doomed to eternity in H E Double Hockey Sticks as Julie put it the other day. But because of him we have a HOPE.
    Secondly I am so thankful for my family. I have a very close family that is there for everything, through thick or thin. I’m not just talking immediate but extended: Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Great Aunts, Great Uncles, 2nd & 3rd Cousins. All of them are a true treasure to me and one I tend to take for granted sometimes until I realize that not everyone has that type of relationship with their family.
    I’m also thankful that my own Mom’s Battle with Breast Cancer has been relatively smooth thus far. Surgery is completed and 2 of 8 chemo treatments are finished as well. I’m thankful that the good days outnumber the bad days so far. I’m thankful for her spirit that lifts us up and that she is quick to give God the Glory for the way things have went.
    I’m also thankful for the fall season, we have enjoyed a little rain after a dry/hot summer and the cooler temps are a welcomed and needed relief.
    I’m also thankful for God’s hand of protection on the city of Joplin, Missouri where I live near and work in. I know the destruction of the May 22nd tornado was massive but after looking at in person every day it is only by the Grace of God that only 162 lives were taken by that tornado. The stories of God’s protection over family, friends and co-workers will amaze you.
    The list could go on and on and rightfully it should. We are a Blessed Nation and we take that for granted. Thank you to our Service Men & Women for their protection of our Nation.
    I’m also thankful for Julie, for her courage and willingness to share her battle with us. Congratulations Julie on the final chemo treatment and I’m still mashing the button many times a day for you & McD.
    Love & Hugs,
    Lisa K.

• Reply Carol October 6, 2011 at 9:40 am

Happy HAPPY Thursday. Remember “Thirsty Thursdays”? ..Ahhh..maybe you don’t…I’m a bit older. Thirsty Thursdays, were a good time. 😉 Anyway…I am thinking of you and happy you are on your last chemo. I have a story for you, you asked what we are thankful for…there are many of the usual things, of course…things that go without saying. But, today I am reminded of how thankful I am of my grandson…he makes me laugh. Cute story….We live 5 hours away from our grandchildren. Jake is 3, Riley 1. We make trips regularly to see them and to help our daughter. When I leave, I tell Jake to put “Grandmas love in his pocket”…and I do all the motions…you can picture it…:) When I get back home I call and ask him again “Jakee, do you have grandma’s love in your pocket?”…Last time we talked…his answer to me was “NO,Grandma…I don’t have any pants on!” :)) (Might lose a little in the translastion, but it was funny). Maybe we can change that for you…”Keep God’s love in your pocket..pants or no pants”. 😉 Hope your day goes by fast!… Yuo are in my thoughts and prayers. 🙂 Carol from the UP of MI

• Reply Laura October 6, 2011 at 10:02 am

Really feeling thankful for my husband lately… How he works hard to support our family, how he is loving, how he supports me, and how he is a Godly man. Good hubbies are a blessing, huh?
    I’ll be praying you through this last treatment… You are one tough cookie. You can do this!

• Reply Jack October 6, 2011 at 12:54 pm

Where to begin about being thankful. I’m thankful that God has given me the people in my life that I have had and have now. Each person in my life has been there for a purpose, I am sure of that. There are many who were only there for a short time, but I am so glad that they were there. There are some, that I may feel were there longer than I would have liked, but each one being there has made me the person that I am today. When we are going through trying times like you are right now with this cancer thing….it is hard to stay focused on the big picture. I wish that some of the things I have gone through, I would not have had to, but I also know without those things, I could not do some of the things I have been able to do.
    So I am thankful that God has given me the strength to get through all that life has thrown at me. I am thankful for You being in my life and our family. I am thankful that I have come through all these difficult times on the other side and still have my wonderful family and my Faith in God. I am very thankful that you are going to come through all of this and be an even stronger person than you already are. Have a Very Blessed Day!

• Reply Muddah October 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I am thankful for so many things. At the top of my list is my husband and our 3 boys. I’m proud of all of them. I’m always thankful for my “Forever Friends.” And I’m truly thankful for God’s grace. What a gift!
    I hope that you have a terrific Thursday. So happy to hear this is the last day of your chemo! That is something to celebrate! Prayers for you on this day!

• Reply Laura L. October 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am thankful for you! You have been such an inspiration to me as you go through this whole ordeal.
    Here is a funny for you today.
    The pastor asked if anyone in the congregation would like to express praise for answered prayers.
    Suzie Smith stood and walked to the podium. She said, “I have a praise. Two months ago, my husband, Tom, had a terrible bike wreck and his scrotum was completely crushed. The pain was excruciating and the doctors didn’t know if they could help him.” You could hear a muffled gasp from the men in the congregation as they imagine the pain that poor Tom must have experienced. “Tom was unable to hold me or the children,” she went on, “and every move caused him terrible pain.” We prayed as the doctors performed a delicate operation, and it turned out they were able to piece together the crushed remnants of Tom’s scrotum, and wrap wire around it to hold it in place.” Again, the men in the congregation cringed and squirmed uncomfortably as they imagined the horrible surgery performed on Tom. “Now,” she announced in a quivering voice, “thank the Lord, Tom is out of the hospital and the doctors say that with time, his scrotum should recover completely.”
    All the men sighed with unified relief. The pastor rose and tentatively asked if anyone else had something to say.
    A man stood up and walked slowly to the podium. He said, “I’m Tom Smith.” The entire congregation held its breath. “I just want to tell my wife the correct word is sternum.”

• Reply CeeCee October 6, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I am thankful that even though my oldest son is taking a spiritual/religious path that is 180* different from the way he was raised, he is talking with us about it. He could have done it in secret and told us when it was over with. He is choosing to search out his own God in college instead of partying and getting in trouble.
    Laura L.—I must say that I LOVED your story. Laughing out loud is great! Thanks!!

• Reply CeeCee October 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Me again.
    Julie, I pray your day is easy and the weekend lets you rest and recover quickly. I’m so very happy for you and McD to be on the other side of the chemo.

• Reply Jessica October 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm

I’m thankful for the little sprout growing inside of me!
    So happy this is your last treatment!! You have been so strong…such a positive attitude…I hope you have a restful weekend!

• Reply Sandy October 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I am thankful that my days off this week have actually been restful. I am thankful that I got to have dinner with my daughter last night. I am thankful that her son, who has evidently been replaced by some alien, satan-spawn being, lives with her and not with me! I am thankful that God has a sense of humor! oh, and everything that Sayre said in the first comment!!!

• Reply Wes October 6, 2011 at 7:14 pm

RAIN!! I’m jealous!! Not really, thankful that someone I know got rain and maybe tomorrow is our turn! Thankful for Family and good Friends that I can depend on, better put Jane in there too (she’s cooking supper), don’t know what I would do without her! And if you want Bullet you got to take Betty and Spot cause when they start whooping his a$% its really funny, You would think a 40 pound Basset could get the best of two cats. Thoughts and Prayers!!

• Reply Evelyn October 6, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I am very thankful that you have completed your chemo treatments. Are there plans for radiation? What a ride!, eh? Take care and rest often.

• Reply norma in alabama October 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I am thankful for chemo treatments. When my 18 yo sister was diagnosed with cancer in 1968 there was no treatment. Now I have three friends going through chemo for breast cancer and they have a chance at a long and wonderful life. I pray for you all. Chemo is not a fun ride but thank God it gives you a fighting chance.God is good, all the time.

• Reply Sheila October 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm

Thankful for my kiddos, a great husband, and so much more I don’t even know where to begin. very blessed. Hugs so glad you are done with chemo!

• Reply SharonFaye October 6, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Thankful for my family and a roof over our head. Thankful my husband’s back is healing from his surgery. Thankful I have a job that’s helping take care of us until he’s able to get back to work. God has been good to us. So glad to hear this is your last chemo treatment. Take care, Julie.

• Reply BB October 7, 2011 at 6:20 am

Me? Thankful for pretty much everything, but mostly special people who open their arms and welcome me into their already-busy lives.
    Like you.
    ♥

• Reply Monie October 7, 2011 at 8:44 am

I am SO happy for you today! So happy. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    I am thankful for all the children God brought to my childless life. Our friends were very generous and gracious to share their children with us.
    I am thankful for my wonderful husband of 38 years. The man is the king of ‘long-suffering’ staying married to a wreck like me. He’s a saint.
    I am thankful for my sister. She’s my best friend, and has taken care of me my whole life. I love her more than air.
    I am thankful for my nephew. He is like my own son. He survived two deployments to Iraq, as a Marine. He is now living close by, and has a beautiful wife whom I love like a daughter, and a precious baby girl of 14 months.
    Have a WONDERFUL day today, Julie. Nothing but restoration and healing from this point on! Amen.

• Reply Sue October 7, 2011 at 10:25 am

Yeah for you…I’m so happy for you. Celebrate! I’m thankful for my wonderful family and for the person that invented french fries. Sometimes it’s just the little things 🙂

• Reply Skye October 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

I’m thankful for modern medicine, and I’m thankful that I found your blog through my friend Megan at Best of Fates 🙂

• Reply Kim A. October 7, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I am so thankful for my husband. He loves me for who I am. He is so good to me. He never has a bad day. He is always happy. Did I say he is so good to me? I am so thankful every single day that we met and fell in love!
    Kim

• Reply Jen October 11, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I’m late due to my server’s lack of cooperation, but am thankful, nonetheless. I am thankful that my kidnicks are healthy and annoying teenagers. I am thankful for the rain we had last week. I am thankful for this internet thingy that has allowed me to “meet” wonderful new friends. Hope you are feeling well, Julie.

• Reply MIss October 11, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Just realized I haven’t seen you on twitter lately and came over to check on you. One year instead of a family photo on our Christmas card we used a photo of one of our mares and foals. I loved it but I was surprised how much everyone responded. I hope the pain in your fingers gets better soon. Still praying for you and wishing you well!

• Reply Pam October 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Haven’t stopped by in a while, but so thankful to hear the good news about no more chemo. I personally am thankful for spending time with my wonderful husband and 2 girls who are still home with me and grateful for the chance to visit daughter #1 last weekend at college and know that she is doing so well. Also thankful to see the leaves changing on the trees. Love, love autum.

• Reply Kelly October 12, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Congratulations on your last treatment! I read and follow along, but have never commented before…
    I’m thankful that my oldest and dearest friend’s husband completed his first treatment (12 rounds over 4 days in the hospital) and that now he’s home, he’s gaining strength for the next treatment in two weeks. You and he are inspirational to me. Best to you…

• Reply debby October 14, 2011 at 10:07 am

I’ve got so many things to be thankful for, and I am thankful for them. Right this minute though, I am choosing to be thankful that you are finished with chemo. I will never forget the joy of walking out of there for the last time.

• Reply Melanie October 17, 2011 at 10:38 am

Hi there! I’ve been thinking about you and wondering how you’re doing since you’re last chemo. Are you starting to feel better? I bet it feels good to know that you’re done with that part. I need to get more information about the reconstruction options open to me and I’ve been putting it off. You’re definitely a do-er and you’re marching right along this road.
    Hope you’re getting a little cooler weather and some moisture and a lovely Fall!
    Hugs!