Chemo Day Fun! First Cars?

ACR_0934 This was my dad's first car.  I don't recall what year it was, but it is a Corvair.  It looked much better when he was driving it, but it backfired all the time.  My mom used to tell us stories about when they were dating.  She said that she always knew when dad turned onto their street.  I am sure he would gun it, and then it would backfire.  I'd be giggling everytime, but I'm weird like that.

My first car was a 1985 Chevy Chevette, but my friend Gin and I called it the "vette."  It was red, and drove about like the Flintstones car.

McD's first car was a Chevy Vega.  I won't even tell you the choices he had to choose from, and he STILL chose the Vega.  Granted, he said his dad talked him into it.  He said it was green.  I will see if I can find a picture of it.  🙂

What was your first car?

• Reply Amy | She Wears Many Hats August 25, 2011 at 8:33 am

My first car was a 1968 Buick Skylark handed down from my Great Aunt Floy. It was the color of a noodle, so we called it The Noodle. We were real creative. It wasn’t a cool car to be driving as a teenager in 1985 but it was fast, man. Had some crazy big engine. Guys would come up and ask to race.

• Reply jane August 25, 2011 at 8:37 am

my first car was a 64 chevelle 3 speed on the column. the faster you drove the louder the radio played!! at one point everytime you turned left the horn honked. no sneaking home late at night!! good luck today. hope to see you saturday night if you’re feeling good enough….

• Reply anya August 25, 2011 at 8:40 am

The first car I actually drove was a gray Chevy Corsica. I drove over 100mph on the way home a couple of times and I think they decided it was time to slow me down. lol So the first car that was mine all mine was a chevy stepside, purple metallic paint that changed to blue under the streetlights, and metal flake tint that showed every color of the rainbow when the sunlight hit it. It was my dream truck. And then a dadgum tornado totaled it and the dream was over. 🙁 lol

• Reply MNStacey August 25, 2011 at 8:47 am

I believe it was a 1980 Mazda 626. Ugly car, but gave me my freedom!

• Reply Tonya August 25, 2011 at 9:37 am

AgH. I had to drive My moms car which was a tank. An old Pontiac Grand Prix which would go dead so you had to hold brake and gas together. Hey I just figured out why I drive with both feet so much. The headliner was also sagging. We were classy.

• Reply Sayre August 25, 2011 at 9:48 am

No idea what the year was, but I bought it from my neighbor in 1978. He was experimenting with auto body work and painting. This was a Datsun B-210 that had been run over by a semi-truck. The front end was okay, but the end result of all his work was that the trunk leaked and the whole back end looked like it had cellulite. Also, very easy to lock the car with the engine running. The key would slip out of the ignition in the on position. That’s great as long as you actually had the key. Not so good if the key fell out while running and you didn’t realize it.

• Reply GinnyGayNell August 25, 2011 at 9:49 am

OHHHHH Julie…we had so much fun my 70s’ Lincoln Continental…I remember we would smear Armor All on the seats and then turn corners really really fast and the people in the back seat would slide to one side.lol..It had 5 cigarette lighters and Dad installed a new starter in one of them so it was actually a push button starter like in the newer cars today. I missed you Saturday night. They are having the drag again next year and I have first dibs on YOU to go with moi.

• Reply Tracy August 25, 2011 at 9:54 am

1980 red VW rabbit. I loved that car. We used to say it really could hop because I could speed bumps faster than 5mph and we wouldn’t bottom out.

• Reply Pamela August 25, 2011 at 10:16 am

my very own first car was a 1969 AMX. Four on the floor, solid lifters, over sized cam. 390. Guys would ease up next to me at a stop light and then rev their engines (you know, wanna race?) and I would leave them sitting still. Raced it once in the ET’s up by the airport and scared myself — and never did it again. I could beat him off the line through 2nd gear, but my brother could waste me by the shift to 3rd because he had a 428 cobra (mustang)
    … awwww.. those were the muscle days. (:

• Reply Pamela August 25, 2011 at 10:20 am

(ps. I have not been able to lower myself to drive a 4 banger. But will be doing that probably whenever I am forced to make a car purchase. (praying for my old car to hang on another year!) I have a 99 Alero with a six, because I still like to pass on a straightaway. hee hee. (Hey I still have my teeth and can touch my toes when I bend over)

• Reply Aunt Mel August 25, 2011 at 10:20 am

1979 green Honda Civic Hatchback! Delivered lots of combine parts in that car 🙂

• Reply Pamela August 25, 2011 at 10:30 am

one more ps. Previous weekend I drove all the way home (6 hrs) from Karmyn’s as driver and sole occupant — got home fine and dandy.
    Then after parking car in garage – the water pump busted. This has been the way God has protected the past few years. Things go wrong with the car – as all cars do.. but it has always been in a safe place and help close by.

• Reply Laura L. August 25, 2011 at 11:35 am

My first car was a black 1991 Ford Escort GT. It was a 5 speed and I thought I was hot stuff!

• Reply Rebecca August 25, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Oh boy. My first car was a chocolate brown 1980 Ford Pinto. It was old. I was its 5th owner. It had an eight track player with a John Denver 8-track that was permanently fused into it. My choices were to listen or to turn it down. I couldn’t turn it “off”, but I could turn it down… I know every word to every song that was on the “Best of John Denver” 8-track. 🙂 What a fun memory. I hope your chemo was smooth today!

• Reply Barbara | Creative Culinary August 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm

My first car was a 1966 Ford Fairlane. Today you would call it a house. It was our family car and my parents sold it to me when I needed a car. Yes, you read that right; not gave it to me, but sold it to me.
    The first car I bought new a couple of years later was a Chevy Camaro…a bit more my style I must admit.

• Reply Karmyn R August 25, 2011 at 1:45 pm

My first car was a 1970 bright yellow VW bug. I loved that car and drove it to pieces – literally. By the time I passed it down to my youngest sister – the back seat flooring had a hole in it. So, your backseat passengers could watch the road as you drove. (my dad put in a piece of metal to hide the hole – but it was still kind of scary).

• Reply Karmyn R August 25, 2011 at 1:49 pm

And my first “real” car – was a Saturn SV2 – which I loved but Dave couldn’t fit into the thing (him being 6’5″)…. and my dog christened the backseat by barfing up salmon catfood. hahaha –

• Reply Kelly August 25, 2011 at 2:35 pm

A 77 Mustang for me with T-Tops that leaked and a door that didn’t shut all the way. When it snowed, the wind would howl here across the plains and make a nice big pile on my drivers side. I longed, pined away, scraped and saved for an upgrade. I can’t tell you how excited I was when I could finally purchase my little Honda Prelude. I’ve appreciated a decent vehicle ever since!

• Reply Farmer Gal August 25, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Oh, so embarrassing… A Buick Estate STATION wagon. And I called it ‘Mustang Sally’. At least I had a sense of humor about it! 🙂

• Reply Jen August 25, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I bought my first car when I was 19 years old…a blue 66 Mustang. LOVED it! Wish I still had it!

• Reply Melanie August 25, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Hey there! You might be finished with chemo by now but I’ll add to the list……My first personal car was a ’73 Pinto station wagon. It was red and had white stripes on the hood that made it look like it had horns. I had a St. Bernard and it was perfect for hauling him around (I showed him in 4H and AKC dog shows.). Oh, I’m embarassed (I think I’m spelling that wrong) to say that it also had a huge, whip CB antennae on it…..yep, I was raised in a small town and that’s just what you did…..That car lasted FOREVER. My mom drove it, then my brother drove it…..it finally got hauled away on a flatbed. Loved that car!! BTW The station wagons were not the Pintos that used to blow up. Hope you had a good day!!

• Reply Deb August 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm

A 1972 Dodge Dart. It had a sunroof that cranked open! I bought it when I got my first job as a car hop at the local A&W.

• Reply Bush Babe August 25, 2011 at 4:50 pm

A 1982 Corolla CS sedan – royal blue and automatic. I had never driven an automatic car before in my life and on my first big drive in it, I tried to change gears in the main street and almost dropped the gearbox out of it slotting it into reverse…
    I thought it was the sexiest car ever, and bought white cat-eye sunglasses to totally complete the look. Sooooooo EIGHTIES!!!
    Thinking of you today… hugs.
    🙂

• Reply Marlene August 25, 2011 at 6:31 pm

My first car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger. Copper color inside and out. Bought by me in 1975. Would love to have it back now since noway can I afford the new ones.

• Reply Donna August 25, 2011 at 7:33 pm

My first car was a powder blue 1967 Sport Sprint Mustang. It was awesome and I loved driving that car around Atlanta. Then it was stolen 6 months later on Easter Sunday. Nearly broke my heart!
    I met my husband of 43 years while I was driving that car. He was driving a beat up Triumph (TR 4)convertible that his old girl friend had ruined while he was in Viet Nam. Boy, those were the days! 😀
    Thinking of you! Gentle Hugs XO

• Reply Wes August 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm

In 1974 My parents went to get a VW beetle, they wanted to trade a 1968 Oldsmobile Delta 88! The dealer offered them 150.00, dad told them he would take it home and raise chickens in it before he would take 150.00. They came home and was telling the story and I offered him 200.00, of course at the time I was only 14, He agreed and I payed it off before I turned 16! I could put 8 people in that car, I kept that car for 6 years and drove it as a work car, I guess really 8 years if take in 2 years that I couldn’t drive it!!

• Reply Sandie August 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm

my very first car was a Rambler with LOTS of chrome. But my second car was a Corvair-it was white w/stick shift. I bought it and then learned how to drive a stick shift! lots of fun.

• Reply Cynthia D'Alba August 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

My first car…hmm that was SO LONG ago. I think is was an Oldsmobile. Maybe an Olds 88? No, wait a minute. that’s what I took to college.
    My first car was a 1965 Pontiac Catalina. The heater didn’t work, so I had to drive to high school wrapped in quilts to keep warm! LOL

• Reply Steph August 26, 2011 at 8:43 am

A 1972 Ford LTD two door tank. That car would go through anything. It was an 8 cylinder with a 400 motor and when you put the pedal to the floor you’d better be hanging on tight! Loved that dumb car, wish I still had it.

• Reply Debbie August 26, 2011 at 9:32 am

A British Racing Green (used) MGB-GT. Hardtop, black interior. I was 20, (1970) and thought I was the coolest ever. Had to learn how to drive stick. Froze in the winter, melted sneakers in the summer, but I was styling!

• Reply Kim August 26, 2011 at 10:53 am

My first car was a 1974 Brown Ford Pinto Station wagon! Yikes! It’s funny to think about that car now. At the time I loved it.

• Reply Pam Sullivan August 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm

My first car was a 1970 VW Bug! I learned to drive in my boyfriend’s new burgandy colored Corvair though. Stick-shift all the way! Those are good memories. Thanks for sharing
    Pam

• Reply Monie August 26, 2011 at 5:52 pm

A beautiful, incredibly fast ’65 Ford Mustang. (Mine had the BIG engine…they didn’t make many of those or for very long; I guess it was TOO fast! 😉 I still cannot think about it without sighing. My favorite thing was to look in the rearview mirror when pulling away from the pack when the light turned green…the perspective of the cars/people getting so small, so fast was a real trip. It was solid, heavy steering, road-hugging, and powerful. I wish I still had it…

• Reply debby August 29, 2011 at 5:44 am

My first car was a VW Kharmann Ghia. 1969. Green.

• Reply SharonFaye August 29, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I bought my first car when I turned 18. It was a little red 1981 Plymouth TC3 hatchback. I was in heaven! I loved road trips in that little car. And ya know… it’s surprising how many people you can actually fit into one of those little things!

• Reply SharonFaye August 29, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Oh! I so love the late 60’s Mustangs. My dream car would be a 67 Mustang Convertible… candy apple red w/ a white rag top. A guy I went to school with had one of those cars, and while I’m sure he had some very nice qualities, it seemed a lot of girls in school wanted to date him just because of the car! Reminiscing at a recent reunion, my friends and I couldn’t even remember what HE looked like… But we remembered that CAR!

• Reply sheila August 31, 2011 at 10:20 am

A 1968 Ford Mustang. It looked great, but drove like a piece of crap. I was stranded so many times in that car. Traded it in for a Toyota Tercel…not quite as cool, but got great gas mileage! ; )

• Reply leslie (crookedstamper) August 31, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I had a Chevy Chevette – 1977, I think. Robin-egg Blue. My Dad bought me 1/2 a car for college graduation … I had to pay for the other half. I opted for the CHEvette over a CORvette since I didn’t even have a job yet. What a great first car that was!

• Reply Stelle Courney September 3, 2011 at 8:52 am

Hey, don’t you have a plan to restore your Dad’s car? Vintage and classic cars are very popular today. They sometimes grab attention rather than the sports cars that we have these days. Don’t you just love vintage? And let your parents have a bit of their youthful romance with that car.

• Reply Stacey May 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm

First vehicle was a 1976 (yr – I think) Toyota pickup. But second car, traded from my grandparents was a Chevy Chevette. Wow, Julie what a small world that we drove the same type of car in high school.