Uncategorized

Threes – Part 1

I'm not sure why we say things come in threes, but I hear it all the time.

With that being said, this is part 1 of three posts today.  I don't know why.  I just felt like catching up over here.  I've been neglecting the ACR blog lately, and I don't like it a bit.

We are planning our vacation.  We hardly ever get to take a vacation.  We do travel, but it is normally business or to see the kids.  This is going to be a real vacation.  Sight-seeing, camping, and the whole tourist thing will be happening.  I hope to get some beautiful photos, have funny stories to share, and some fun tweets along the way.

Here's where I ask for a little guidance from you guys.

Have you ever been to Mt. Rushmore? Yellowstone National Park? Grand Tetons?

Any suggestions on things we MUST see? Where we really should eat? Stops along the way that regular tourists might not know to look for?

I am trying to travel to each state before I take my last breath, and this trip is going to knock a few of them off of my list.  Now to just decide where to go after I finish chemo. :)  That would be a reason for celebration, don't ya think?

• Reply Sue Farrant June 6, 2011 at 10:54 am

Absolutely! My SIL is battling her cancer, the doctors said she should “move up” her planned trip to Vegas (she is in Ireland). Well she has since gone to Paris, Vegas and London. She is doing really well at the moment and we just pray that she feels good for a long time 🙂 Keep on rolling, don’t let anyone say when or where you have to do things.
    Have an awesome trip….look froward to the tweets.

• Reply Laura L. June 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

I haven’t been to any of those places so I can’t wait to hear about it and see your pictures!

• Reply Monie June 6, 2011 at 11:42 am

Yes, yes, and yes to all of those places…and yes, I have some thoughts about what you should see and do! I’ll be coming and going with you throughout the day. I’m so happy that you are going to be seeing these beautiful parks!

• Reply Virginia June 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm

Some people on the East coast want to go to California. Some from the West want to go to NYC. I am from the East, yet all I want to do is go to Idaho. Hope, Idaho to be exact.
    It’s the solitude I think that attracts me.
    I’m hoping to make it out there some time this year.

• Reply Norma in Alabama June 6, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. Living in Alabama most of our vacations happen in the east or the Gulf beaches but we have longed to take a trip out west. Have you been reading the post by OMSH, the home schooler who publishes on Ree’s blog. They have been to some beautiful places this summer. Hope you have a great vacation and take us along with you. Glad you are feeling good and rearing to go. That positive attitude takes you a long way. Still praying for you both.

• Reply BethZimmerman June 6, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Absolutely a reason to celebrate! We haven’t vacationed much so I have no advice for you but I certainly wish you a good time!

• Reply Lisa June 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I’ve been to all three of those places and they are all beautiful in their unique way. You will need lots of camera media cards.
    My favorite is Yellowstone. My sister & I were hiking to see the “Morning Glory Pool” and came across a Grizzly bear. It was exciting for us but thankfully the bear never took notice of us. We hiked our way back to the truck, laughing all the way about the what ifs. We weren’t in the “backcountry” so we didn’t have any bear mace or anything other than a bottle of water and a trail guide.
    Enjoy your trip whenever you decide to go!

• Reply Farmer Gal June 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Estes Park (and the adjoining Rocky Mountain Nat’l Park) in Colorado!!!!!

• Reply Jodi June 6, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I live in Spearfish SD, about an hour and a half from Mt. Rushmore. You will love it. And I might be bias, but make sure you take the trip to Spearfish and go through Spearfish Canyon, it’s well worth the trip in my opinion.

• Reply Amanda June 6, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I have been to both Yellowstone and the Teetons. They are both absolutely amazing! One thing you must see is not actually in Yellowstone but the Targhee National Forest and that is Mesa Falls. Absolutely gorgeous!! It is at the northern end of the Teton scenic byway and if you google Mesa Falls you will get directions. A must see when you are that close!
    Another great spot in the Pacific Northwest is Glacier National Park. I actually liked it more than Yellowstone but that is probably a seperate vacation itself:)

• Reply Amanda June 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm

All of the places you mentioned are beautiful. Jackson Hole, WY has one of my fav eateries called Bubba’s BBQ. I’m drooling just typing about it…

• Reply Jenni in KS June 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm

We did Mt. Rushmore and The Tetons in the same trip as our Yellowstone trip. We were with my in-laws and on their time schedule. Let me just say that Mt. Rushmore and The Tetons require more than an hour or two each. I was thankful to get to see The Tetons at all, though. We spent 3 days in Yellowstone and kept a break neck pace. For Yellowstone, you really need a full week. It takes so long to drive between the different sites and it would be so much nicer to be able to relax and enjoy it more. I wish we could have attended a few programs and gone on a back country hike or two. (We did one 5 mile semi back country hike, and that was nice.) If you’re going to be up that way anyway, I highly recommend a few days in Big Sky, Montana. We stayed at the Days Inn West Yellowstone. It was budget but very clean and nice with an indoor pool for the kids (big slide!) and a very friendly and helpful staff. While we were there we went horseback riding (little outfit up the road from the hotel) and whitewater rafting on the Gallatin River. It was so much fun, and the country was absolutely gorgeous!

• Reply Jessica June 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Ohhh the Tetons!! Magical! Be sure to visit Mormon Row and this gorgeous little chapel with a large picture window framing the Tetons…I forget the name but can try to find it if you decide to go. Jenny Lake is pretty and there is a hike up to Hidden Falls that’s nice, but pretty tough.
    Yellowstone…do the obvious…Old Faithful and all if the other geothermal “experiences” (that’s what I called them) around Old Faithful. The grand canyon of Yellowstone is breathtaking…as is Upper and Lower Falls…
    We are going back later this year, we loved the area so much. I’m happy to talk with you more about what we did if you’d like. Just email me 🙂

• Reply Kerri Griggs June 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I went on a trip a LOOOONG time ago that I will never forget. We went up thru Colorado (colorado springs, manitou springs (must see), brekinridge, etc) then up thru Wyoming and to Yellowstone ( GORGEIOUS WATERFALLS that were UNBELIEVEALBE). We went to Montana (billings and Great falls) then touched the border of Candada. We saw Custers Last Stand and a few other bright spots including my families ranch out in the middle of NO WHERE before heading back through the Dakotas – Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore (which was amazing to actually see in person). We swung back the long way and made a brief visit thru Kansas, Arkansas and Missouri and there I first layed eyes on Beaver Lake (near Eureaka Springs) and fell in LOVE with that place. That is where Ludy and I eventually got married. It is truly a beautiful peaceful sight. Whereever you go I wish you as much joy and happiness as I had. It covered a LOT of ground but I wouldnt trade it for the world!

• Reply Steph June 8, 2011 at 8:40 am

Spearfish Canyon is a must see! Beautiful. I would also recommend making the trip through Custer State Park and taking the time to go through the Bad Lands. All breathtaking.