In Real Life – Rephrased

I'm a blogger, but sometimes it doesn't come easily for me.

You see, I'm a pretty private person in real life.  When I was diagnosed with breast cancer I almost shut down completely.  A good friend of mine, who is also a blogger, reminded me that I am a blogger.  She made a great point when she said that I might get more support from other survivors if I post about my fight with this beast.  We both thought of all of the prayers that I might have if I blogged about it.

Now I am so thankful that I shared with all of you about my current situation.  I know for a fact that the reason I am in good spirits, fighting like a champ, and at peace with it all at the same time is because of answered prayers.

The only thing that I am struggling with is how much I should share.  I am to a point that I could share it all, but there are some photos that I am just not sure I should put out there.

How do you show photos of things like drains, sutures, expanders, etc on a family friendly blog?

What all do you guys really want to see?  Or hear about?

I want to be as informative as possible, but I don't want to gross anyone out either.

*Added to Clarify*

In real life I am a pretty private person, on here no so much.  I want to share photos, and stories, and any information I can about this.  I want other women to be aware.  I lost all modesty back when I had my mammo, ultrasound, & biopsy.   Three people in a room staring at or touching your ta-tas kind of does that to ya.

I just didn't know if you guys wanted to see those kinds of photos.  I have ideas of how to make them titled graphic, etc.

I have been trying to decide what to call it, The Beast, BC, etc.  Now I have an idea for today's post. :)

Stay tuned.

• Reply Ginny May 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm

As one private person to another, if you feel sharing your story with everyone is good for you, therapeutic even, go for it!
    If you doubt sharing images, then maybe it’s not meant to be, maybe you aren’t meant to share them. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing to keep your scars, your drains, to yourself and those around you.
    Whatever you choose, everyone will support you.
    Keep on kickin’!

• Reply KarenTX May 21, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Whatever you feel comfortable with, we’re just glad you’re here to even entertain the thought of “flashing” us! You look great, I know you’re going to be sore, but hope it doesn’t last long.

• Reply Jan Reuther May 22, 2011 at 12:48 am

First, Julie, it’s good to see that you’re feeling well enough to be up and blogging!
    Very recently a local woman went through a double mastectomy and she went very, very public with everything. She refused to cover her head as she went bald, because she said it was a reminder to all women to do self exams and to get mammograms every year. She showed pictures of her breasts and all the paraphenalia on her blog. I don’t think it was off putting…I think it showed incredible strength and her strong desire to make other women aware of the need to keep checking themselves.
    If you want to be private, then be private. If you want to share, then share. It’s YOUR blog, and you get to make the rules! 🙂

• Reply Bush Babe May 22, 2011 at 6:11 am

Whatever you are comfortable with.
    Options:
    1. LABEL each graphic post so if people want to click off they can…
    2. Provide a link to a seperate section/blog so people deliberately make the effort to go to your Cancer section (or The Beast or whatever you want to call it).
    3. Just put it up there. But label them all the same thing so that people really wanting to track your progress can easily do so (and you can easier track back yourself). I notice you have this under Miscellaneous. Just an idea.
    You are amazing. I love so much that you have been so open and yet so ‘you’ (ladylike/fun/positive/real).

• Reply leslie (crookedstamper) May 22, 2011 at 6:31 am

I don’t think you need to share the photos. I think sharing the experience could be therapeutic, though. Bottom line, whatever you are comfortable with, and what makes YOU feel good. (It’s your blog, remember?) 🙂

• Reply Teri May 22, 2011 at 7:00 am

You have to be you Julie.
    You’re such a sweetheart to be concerned about your readers but it’s your blog and you need to remain true to yourself so write for you.
    And then like Bush Babe says, label it graphic.
    You could always do two posts….one more detailed.
    So glad you’re doing well!

• Reply debby May 22, 2011 at 7:04 am

I never shared photos. That was not me. But you know, I believe that we all have a responsibility to use our lives. I talk about it. When I see a chance to reach out to another woman, I do. I am a private person also, but I learned not to be quite so private. It’s important.

• Reply Anya May 22, 2011 at 7:28 am

If there was one thing that remained constant through this whole process for my mom, it was that none of it was anything like we expected. From the mastectomy incision, to the drain tubes, to the way chemo makes you feel, she was “prepared” by the doctors, but until you’re living it, you just have no idea. I say share everything you’re comfortable with so there’s one more “real life” example out there for women to see. I was thinking along the same lines as Bush Babe, perhaps make it it’s own section here on the blog so people who want to see it can, but it can also be easily avoided for those who aren’t ready to handle it. It’s too important not to share. 🙂

• Reply Sayre May 22, 2011 at 7:45 am

It’s your story – tell it the way you need to. I’ve been following my friend “Knock-Knock, It’s Cancer!” since the beginning of her journey with breast cancer and she’s posted some photos. It wasn’t too graphic, but it did get the point across.
    Because of her (and you), I went immediately to my doctor on discovery of an unusual lump under my arm. Many mammograms and ultrasounds later, they decided that it was a cyst (phew), but discovered a couple of other places that bear watching. Thanks to you and Michelle, I was proactive in getting it checked out, when previously I might have just chalked it up to my usually lumpy breasts.

• Reply denny144 May 22, 2011 at 8:11 am

I have different standards for photos than text. For photos, I ask myself how would I feel if somebody grabbed them and posted them elsewhere on the web and how would I feel if my kids, grandkids, co-workers, in-laws, saw them–even if the photos were accessible by a separate link. You don’t “owe” any of us anything about your life. While I appreciate your asking, you should publicly share only what you want, not what we want. Part of the healing process for any trauma is to talk about it and that should be your aim here. Let us be your confidante and know that we are here for you with whatever you feel is important to say and show.

• Reply Jackie May 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

Well said.

• Reply Jan May 23, 2011 at 8:00 am

I am a nurse so the pictures wouldn’t bother me. However, I agree with denny144. It’s not what anyone else is hoping to see. It’s what you are comfortable revealing now…and what you might wish later you hadn’t posted.
    You go girl!
    You are still on my prayer list and I’m sending praises to Him for answered prayer.

• Reply Karmyn R May 25, 2011 at 10:30 am

I’ve been thinking about you. Sending prayers! Sometimes I’m still in disbelief that I had cancer – but the surgery scar is there reminding me. I feel I got off easy compared to you and others who have breast cancer. That is a whole lot scarier.
    I’m glad you are staying positive – but remember it’s okay to be sad some days too.

• Reply Michelle May 28, 2011 at 9:54 am

I don’t think you can plan ahead, at least I couldn’t. I found I shared a lot, most everything, including pictures and emotions… but I didn’t start out planning that way…it sort of went that route on it’s own.
    hope you have a good support system ahead of you, and like Sayre said, if there’s ever anything you need….let me know 🙂