Confessions

Singing in Church

Typically I don't write about Religion or Politics, but occasionally something will happen at church that I feel like I need to share. That is what happened this morning.

You see, I don't sing well. At. All.  Therefore, I sing quietly.  McD might be able to hear me, but that would be about it.  Oh wait, he probably doesn't hear me either because he can't hear very well. What a blessing that is when he sits next to me at church.  I used to wonder why in the world the people that don't sing well seem to always just belt it out.  At first I thought that they are just very brave, because I would be very embarrassed.

Then it hit me.  They are doing what should be done.  We are there to praise God, and that is exactly what they are doing.  They are not holding back, as I was, they are not embarrassed to praise and glorify God in song whether it is pitchy, or in tune. There is melody in our hearts and God knows it.  He knows that we don't all have voices like some of the greats, he made us.

So next Sunday I am going to sing a little louder. Then I might sing a little louder the next Sunday as well.  I hope to learn from those that belt it out.

• Reply Sue November 29, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Well, the bible says to make joyful noise, right?
    Give it whatcha got.
    ((hugs))
    Sue
    (the lady that needs a bucket to carry a tune)
    ~:-)

• Reply Stef November 29, 2009 at 8:51 pm

I always sing the loudest. I want the Lord to know that I love being on his house, with his other Shepards. First Sunday of Advent and we had a wonderful service filled with Christmas music.

• Reply Kimi B November 29, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I do the same thing when I trail ride – only I do it to scare off the wildlife. lol. Raise your voice up! You are probably better than you give yourself credit anyhow!

• Reply Sandy November 30, 2009 at 6:29 am

Just channel Ree and Ethel and it will all be good. I can’t think of a better season to kick it up a notch. I love the music this time of year.

• Reply junebug November 30, 2009 at 8:42 am

I like to sing but I can’t say I sing well just ok. But I do sing in church, I even play the keyboard on stage with my husband playing the guitar. Our music leader is the pastor’s wife and she also plays the keyboard. Sometimes I sing a special, I am thinking about singing “Breath of Heaven” for Christmas. I sang it two years ago. Usually every Sunday I get the opportunity to sing when I play the altar music. Make a joyful noise! I wonder if that’s why it’s called “noise”?

• Reply Destiny D November 30, 2009 at 9:14 pm

SING, girl, SING!

• Reply another joy December 1, 2009 at 11:02 am

Thanks for the perspective!
    I love to sing, I just wish I was better at it. But there are few things that give me more joy than music.
    We take students on a mission trip to serve people with disabilities, and it is the most beautiful sound to hear a chapel full of voices that the world would deem “imperfect” singing out and praising the Creator that gave them that voice.
    God hears our heart and intentions, not our tune!

• Reply Amy J in SC December 1, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Yeah!!! Wish I could be there too to hear it next Sunday.